A virtual visit to Spain!
" Their Chef put together a spectacular 'sip and savour' assortment "
We may not be able to travel to Spain but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy this historic and magical land.
The Bailliage spent World Chaîne Day on Zoom celebrating the food, wine and music of beautiful Spain. It featured classic Spanish cuisine (as a take-out boxed menu). Wine was prepared by Bodega on Main, one of Vancouver’s most iconic Spanish restaurants. Included was a private online performance by renowned Spanish flamenco guitarist Juan de Marias.
The event was a sell-out. In light of COVID-19 restrictions, Bailli Ann Collette together with Vice-Argentier Owen Wright and Vice-Échanson Clement Lau hand-delivered the food and wine to the 50 lucky participants.
Opened in 2015 by siblings Paul and Natalie Rivas, Bodega on Main follows their father’s tradition of serving authentic, delicious Spanish tapas for decades. Their Chef put together a spectacular “sip and savour” assortment of Spanish charcuterie, cheese, bread and savoury accompaniments to enjoy with an equally delicious Spanish wine selected by the restaurant’s sommelier.
World Chaîne Day 2021 “A Taste of Spain” Menu
- Serrano ham (cured Spanish ham)
- Salchichón Ibérico (Iberian cured pork)
- Chorizo Ibérico (dry cured pork sausage)
- Bellota (acorn-fed 100% Ibérico ham)
- Membrillo y Queso (Spanish blue cheese with quince jelly)
- Manchego Curado con Trufa (sheep’s milk cheese with black truffle)
- Manchego (sheep’s milk cheese, aged 12 months)
- Payoyo (goat's and sheep's milk)
- San Simón (smoked cow’s milk cheese)
- Olivas (marinated mixed olives)
- Pearl onions (balsamic vinegar)
- Marconas (Spanish almonds)
- Guindillas (mild Guindilla peppers in wine vinegar)
- Pepinillos (Spanish cornichons)
- Ajo asado (roasted garlic)
- Higos (dried Spanish figs)
- Pan con tomate (bread with tomato and olive oil)
2014 Bodega San Roman ‘Prima’ aged for 12 months in oak. A special wine of great quality from the Toro delimited region, made from 80% Tempranillo and 20% Garnacha. A full-bodied red with evident tannin, refreshing subdued acidity and a lingering finish.
Flamenco guitarist Juan de Marias (appearing courtesy of Collette Parsons Coren) played three 20-minute sets throughout the evening. Juan talked about Spanish music and culture as well as his own fascinating background.
Photography courtesy of Sue Danahy