Professionnel du Vin
" humble with a great heart "
I am really pleased to share with you the contribution a man, a humble human being with a great heart, who I respect as a member of our Bailliage is making at this time of crisis.
With a colleague from the hotel school Scala in Ostend, every day Bernard is delivering 140 meals to doctors and nurses taking care of coronavirus patients.
He has organised a supply of ingredients from food stores he knows where the ingredients are just before their sell-by-date. Every day the two of them create a new menu depending on the available ingredients.
The doctors and nurses are amazed and very impressed not to have the same menu twice. They eagerly look forward to what Bernard and his Scala colleague will have created for them each day.
A flavour of Bernard’s training, awards and experiences:
- His wine company Bernard Wines, importer and distributor of fine wines to the Belgium trade has also supplied Sir Roger Moore [a former 007] since 1993.
- He loves Sancerre as much as his good friend Gareth Owen does.
- Bernard is co-ordinator and technical advisor of the Scala Hotel School in Ostend.
- In Paris, France, he has been Sommelier on board "Le Mermoz" owned by Croisières Paquet, and Assistant Sommelier at the Michelin 3-star Restaurant Pavillon Ledoyen.
- A top sommelier and wine connoisseur in 2011 he received one of the highest awards: Officer de l'Ordre du Mérite Agricole.
What strong credentials this extraordinary man has. He continues to find time in a full and busy life to contribute to the community within which he lives and works.
Thank you, Bernard!